What Is It?
Introduced in September 2008 for Bus drivers and September 2009 for LGV drivers, The Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (DCPC) is a qualification for professional drivers meaning anyone that drives or wants to drive professionally for hire and reward must hold a Driver Qualification Card.
The Driver Qualification Card is a legal requirement and acts as proof that you have undertaken the required level of training, therefore drivers caught without a valid Driver Qualification Card can be subject to a fine of up to £1000.00.
There are two options to choose from when considering Driver CPC Training:
Initial Driver CPC Qualification:
If you passed your car test after January 1997 and your lorry test after September 2009 (or your bus test after September 2008) then you will require the Initial Driver CPC Qualification.
There are two parts to the Initial Qualification:
CPC Case Studies Test (Module 2).
This test is taken at a DVSA Theory Test Centre and forms one of the 5 parts of the qualification process. For new drivers this is normally taken alongside the multiple choice theory & hazard perception tests.
The Case Studies Test is made up of 7 case studies, lasts for up to 90 minutes with a pass mark of 40 out of 50.
Vehicle Safety & Security Practical Test (Module 4).
This test is a practical demonstration test lasting up to 30mins. During the test you will be asked five questions, one from each of the following topic areas:
- Loading the vehicle,
- The security of the vehicle and its contents,
- Preventing criminality and trafficking in illegal immigrants,
- Assessing emergency situations,
- The ability to prevent physical risk.
You can find out more about our Module 4 CPC Training & Testing options HERE
Driver CPC Periodic Training.
Once you have completed your Initial Driver CPC Qualifications you will need to complete further ongoing periodic training in order to retain your Driver Qualification Card. To achieve this you must complete 35 hours worth of approved training every 5 years. Currently you have to complete your 35hrs of periodic training as five 7hr blocks to qualify, this can be achieved by completing a single 7hr training module or combining two 3.5hr training modules into a 7hr training day.
At KJC Driver Training we have a number of training modules available for you to choose from.
Periodic CPC Course List:
- Driver Welfare – Duration 3.5hrs – LGV & PCV
- The Highway Code – Duration 3.5hrs – LGV & PCV
- Eco Driving for Safety & Fuel Economy – Duration 3.5hrs – LGV & PCV
- Vehicle Checks and Defect Reporting – Duration 3.5hrs – LGV & PCV
- Driving Down Accidents – Duration 3.5hrs – LGV & PCV
- Driving Under the Influence (Drink & Drugs) – Duration 3.5hrs – LGV & PCV
- Safe Loading of Vehicles – Duration 3.5hrs – LGV only
- Counter Terrorism – Duration 3.5hrs – Duration 3.5hrs – LGV only
- Tachographs – Duration 3.5hrs – LGV & PCV
- Drivers Hours and Working Time Directive – Duration 3.5hrs – LGV & PCV
- A Drivers Day – Duration 7hrs – LGV only
If you would like to discuss Driver CPC or for more information please call us on 07847 182521 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Details of our latest course dates/times along with booking details can be found on our Facebook Page.