The Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme (MiDAS) provides essential training for the safe operation of minibuses.
Organised by the Community Transport Association U.K. (CTA) MiDAS promotes a nationally recognised standard for the assessment and training of minibus drivers. It is a membership based scheme that is designed to enhance minibus driving standards and promote the safer operation of minibuses, currently there are over 5,000 member organisations throughout the UK.
MiDAS member organisations range from small voluntary organisations operating a single vehicle to local authorities operating large vehicle fleets. Many schools and other educational establishments are members and in its guidance to schools using minibuses, the Department for Education and Skills cites MiDAS training as good practice for all schools.
MiDAS is applicable to any organisation that transports passengers by road and is widely recognised as the ‘Gold Standard’ for training and assessment of drivers.
An up to date MiDAS certificate is often required by many insurance policies and local authorities.
What are the benefits?
The MiDAS scheme brings the following benefits to the minibus operator, the driver and the passengers:
- Enhanced safety and improved passenger comfort
- Potential savings in running costs
- A nationally recognisable qualification promoting high standards of safe driving and passenger care.
MiDAS Course Summary Module 1 – Standard (Compulsary):
Drivers will attend an intensive classroom based Theory Training Session. This will cover a wide range of topics including:
- Legal Responsibilities of a Minibus Driver
- Passenger Safety
- Child Passenger Safety
- Driving for Safety and Economy
- Manual Handling Awareness
- Health & Safety Awareness
- Accident & Emergency Procedures
- Personal Safety for Drivers
They also undertake an extensive, on-road assessment of their driving skills and a written, multiple-choice theory assessment.
Upon successful completion of the training and assessment programme drivers will be awarded with a nationally recognised certificate which will remain valid for up to four years.
MiDAS Course Summary Module 2 – Accessible (Optional):
This module is for those carrying wheelchair users, and so those needing knowledge and experience of using passenger lifts and securing wheelchairs etc.
In addition to the Standard MiDAS Course drivers will explore the following topics:
- Safe use of ramps and tail lifts
- Wheelchair and passenger restraint equipment
- Department for Transport codes of practice on safe carriage of passengers in wheelchairs
- Good practice on passenger assistance
- Information on disability, carrying children and professional etiquette
At the end of this session drivers will sit an additional multiple choice theory assessment specific to accessible minibus use.
MiDAS Refresher Courses:
If you already hold a MiDAS Certificate and undertake refresher training before the certificate expires then you may opt to attend “Refresher Training” instead of the full MiDAS course.
The Refresher training covers an abridged course content concentrating on the changes since obtaining your MiDAS certificate and the key components of the course programme.
If you hold an Accessible certificate then the refresher training will also cover key elements of the Accessible Certificate training.
The certificate issued on successfully completing the refresher course is valid for four years.
The refresher training is also available to reacquaint incidental minibus drivers with the complexities and skills of driving a minibus (even before the certificate is about to expire).
Midas Courses can be conducted to suit your requirements at a location to suit you.
Courses can be held for between 1 and 3 drivers at a time.
- Module 1 – Standard Courses are normally completed within a day.
- Module 2 – Accessible Courses are normally completed over two days.
- Refresher Courses are normally completed within a day (sometimes less depending on numbers)
To discuss your requirements and cost please feel free to give us a call or drop us an email HERE