Minibus Driver Training

Do you or one of your employees need to drive a Minibus?

KJC DriverTraining specialises in providing training to Drive and Operate Minibuses.

Whether you are new to Minibus Driving, in need of a refresher or you need to pass your DVSA D1 Minibus Test we can offer you a range of training courses suitable for your personal requirements. Our instructors will ensure your Minibus is suitable for your license and offer training to suit your needs where necessary.

A minibus is a motor vehicle with between 9 and 16 passenger seats and is described as a category D1 vehicle by the Driving Vehicle Licencing Authority.

The licensing regulations relating to driving a Minibus are confusing to say the least, depending on when you passed your driving test you may need to take an additional test in order to drive a larger Minibus legally.

Drivers who hold a full D1 (or D) PCV entitlement can drive minibuses for hire or reward. There are circumstances when a driver can drive a minibus within the UK when they hold a car (category B) licence. These circumstances vary depending on when the driver passed their car driving test. These arrangements only apply when driving the minibus in the UK not if driving abroad.

If you passed your category B (car) driving test before 1st January 1997:

  • You can drive a minibus that is not being used for hire or reward as these licences automatically include category D1 (101) (not for hire or reward) entitlement.
  • If you intend to receive payment for driving the Minibus you will need to sit the full DVSA D1 Minibus test to remove the (101) not for hire or reward clause.

If you passed your category B (car) driving test on or after 1st January 1997:

You may drive a minibus that is not being used for hire and reward if the following conditions are met:

  • you are over 21 and have held a category B licence for at least 2 years,
  • the minibus is used by a non-commercial body for social purposes
  • you receive no payment other than the recovery of your out of pocket expenses (e.g. fuel and parking costs)
  • you provide the service on a voluntary basis
  • the gross vehicle weight of the minibus is not more than 3.5 tonnes (or 4.25 tonnes if including any specialist equipment to carry disabled passengers)
  • you do not tow a trailer.

Put simply this means if you passed your practical driving test before 1st January 1997 then it’s likely you will  need some basic training in order to drive a Minibus safely and legally, if however you passed your test on or after 1st January 1997 then you could well need to sit the full DVSA D1 Test. You may also need to complete Driver CPC if you intend to drive a Minibus as part of your work.

Our instructors understand the legal requirements you must comply with to ensure you don’t fall foul of these confusing regulations.

We can provide you with an assessment of your intended vehicle then offer advice on any training or testing requirements specific to you.

To find out more visit our dedicated Minbus Driver Training Website