Since November 2020 drivers have been able to jump straight from driving a car to training in a Articulated HGV.
Although many drivers see this as a benefit the jump from a family car into an artic can prove very challenging.
The sheer size and power of the truck can overwhelm many drivers meaning the first few days of training can prove to be a very anxious time.
This is where our Car to Artic Introduction Course aims to bridge that gap.
This course is designed to get you on the road full of confidence when you jump into the Artic for the first time.
Our Car to Artic Introduction Course is a two day course in a large Category C Rigid Body HGV.
- During your two days you will receive 12 hours of one to one training with a highly experienced HGV instructor.
- You will learn the important dynamic handling differences between a car and a HGV. These include speed awareness, braking distances and steering.
- Your instructor will work with you to develop your mirror, signal, manoeuvre routines. We’ll introduce you to the additional safety checks you’ll need to carry out when driving a HGV.
- You will also learn the vital skill of how to position your vehicle safely and correctly when negotiating a variety of junctions.
By taking training in a Category C Rigid Body HGV you’ll benefit from the stepping stone effect. This will allow a smoother transition from a car to an artic.
- Drivers generally adapt to the size and power of a rigid body vehicle far quicker than that of an articulated one. Therefore by honing your skills in a smaller vehicle first you won’t feel so overwhelmed when driving the artic for the first time.
- You will have the opportunity to iron out any bad habits and develop your MSM in a less intense vehicle. This will stand you in good stead when it comes to the DVSA Practical Driving Test.
- By the time you get into the artic you will already understand how to judge the space available at junctions. You will therefore be able to select a road position which will be safe for both you and other road users.
- When you start looking for employment you’ll have experience in both Rigid and Articulated HGV’s. Most drivers who go straight from car to artic won’t have this…
- This Course will reduce both the time and cost involved in gaining your Artic License*
After your Introduction Course:
After completing your introduction course with us you will be able to move into the artic with our training partners Swindon Truck School where you’ll go straight onto the 5 day C+E conversion course rather than the 8 day Car to Artic Course.
This will save you time and money…
* This course is only valid when booking the C+E course with Swindon Truck School.
Before you Book:
There are a few things you’ll need to do before you can book any HGV Driving Course.
- Take a DVLA Drivers Medical.
- Send your license along with your medical forms and a D2 License Application to the DVLA. This will add the Category C Provisional Entitlement to your current car license.
- Take and pass the DVSA HGV Multiple Choice Theory and Hazard Perception Tests.
You can view a full guide on what to do HERE
To book your Car to Artic Introduction Course or ask any questions feel free to contact us HERE